Second star on the right and then straight up to … BOAVISTA!
Just as the ancient sailors arrived on the coast of Cape Verde following the stars, you too can learn to recognize them: this incredible evening experience will make you rediscover the magic of being surrounded by the silent of the nature, under a starry sky with the assistance of expert guides.
With the help of powerful telescopes, lasers, tablets and the right latitude it is possible to learn how to recognize constellations and asterisms, planets and objects further away such as galaxies and nebulae. The moon will be photographable as you have never seen it, as well as Jupiter and Saturn (in their period), the Pleiades and much more. The darkness of the African night will make you express wishes whenever you see a shooting star!
The experience aims to intrigue you, with a scientific and a romantic view, with which you can go home and be able to recognize some objects of the sky, even with naked eyes, to impress friends and family with suggestive stories to tell about myths and legends of various cultures. In addition you will be taught how to use the astronomical applications on tablets and phones to repeat the experience at your home.
Although like a drop of sand in the ocean, Boavista is a place where you can feel “part of the planet”, with its animals, its volcanic earth, its sea, its climate and even its starry sky. The location without dangers, the convenience of transportation, an excursion suitable for all ages, exquisite dinner, pontch and local desserts, the ability of guides and a little technology will give you an evening full of memories. Enthusiasm is assured for everyone, while rediscover the beauty of the night sky, often taken for granted but always present throughout life.
– The restaurant kitchen offers goat meat, chicken, fish, potatoes, rice and legumes, with typical local products. If you have food allergies or intolerances you should advise during the booking.
– In the desert, especially at night, it can get cold: it is advisable to dress in layers. Comfortable shoes (no heels).
– During the evening it is better not to use the phone with a very bright screen and it is forbidden to use the flash, which can disturb your vision and that of other guests.
– In winter there are no mosquitoes in the desert, but in summer there may be some.
– Observing the stars requires a little patience. It rarely happens that the sky is completely covered, but waiting a bit ‘of time you can always see something.
Once at the observation point you will be welcomed with a Cape Verdean buffet dinner, with Cape Verde specialties and 2 drinks included in the price. After dinner and after an introductory briefing on what will be observed that evening, the guide will accompany you through the desert dunes, to show you the objects recognizable with the naked eye.
Depending on the moon phase, the time and the period of the year, planets, stars and objects of deep space will be observed with the support of a telescope, laser and a tablet, which will be made available to learn how to use the applications that allow to recognize the celestial bodies, so that you can repeat the experience at home, with your own device.
Wind blankets, hot drinks and local spirits are available on site.
The excursion is very suitable for children, from 6 years old.
The guides speak ENG-ITA-FRA-DEU-SPA-POR.
No special technical knowledge is required and the transport arrives directly at the observation site.